- pick a landmark
- Building a philosophy
- Choosing an automatic watch
- Mechanical GMT
- Why I want an 80 hour power reserve watch
- Non-self, bundles, non-ownership, selflessness
- Mind and consciousness
- Blogging anniversary
- twentieth reply
- Kurashiki, Japan
- Thoughts on Konmari and sustainability
- Poetry hack for WordPress
- Changing metaphors
- Means to ends
- Stay with one metaphor
- A language for the rest of your life
- Love is not a thing
- Philosophy kills poetry and art
- no more love (poems)
- lucien freud
- sand dune
- Karate #haiku revised
- walking with the dog
- via negativa, via positiva
- … faith or none
- The misconception of Buddhist suffering
- Pluralistic Agency
- The discovery of Bono
- Is/ought, descriptive/prescriptive, truth/value
- Siri is surreal
- Onkyo HF Player
- I think …
- Typography, horology and Grand Seiko
- Abstract object
- In the sense first
- Identifying with the body
- Existence and observation
- No essence
- I think …
- Objective reality
- The (social) medium is the message
- Do we have free will?
- Love is a verb … and a noun
- Some things are too good to last
- Selling stuff, clearing space and mind
- Why ‘Seven of Nine’?
- Words are not things
- blog bloat
- Buy a sound bar
- Time and events
- i see what you mean
- Chain of Keys
- My Dahlia
- Svabhava – the doctrine of no intrinsic nature
- Time is too precious
- God’s Imperfection
- Chicken soup for the non-soul
- Religion from a biological or anthropological point of view
- On nominalism
- Enlightenment is the end of rebirth
- So deductive reasoning does have its uses
- Deductive reasoning is flawed, therefore we should move on.
- Conditioned and unconditioned things
- Words and actions
- Object Philosophy
- halfway through the show
- Alien archeology
- Buddhism FAQ
- The unwilling(ness of) coronavirus
- Ice hockey fan (philosophy)
- Pure sensation
- Processes and noumenalisation
- Rationality and Empiricism
- Mind and body…
- Is realism colorless reductionism?
- Soul, spirit, psyche, mind
- I feel for those isolated from tribes in the Amazon jungle
- Willing suspension of belief
- Body and soul
- Reality, perception, language
- Does X exist?
- Determinism and relativity
- Like old friends holding beers
- Baggage and garbage … rhyme
- Experience, memory, learning, knowledge
- Avoiding transmission situations and route
- Killing two birds with one stone – good ol’ fashion labour
- Of the mind
- The objectification of non-things
- still in the shadows
- No direct access to anything, inside or out
- On Anaxagoras
- Stop the modern loop with postmodernism
- The world is the totality of facts, not of things?
- Know thy place
- Sleep, time, reality
- The subjective/objective paradox
- Why does the West fear empiricism and Buddhism?
- Nature includes us
- Philosophical tennis
- Plum Blossoms
- The Experience
- Why buy physical music? Because it is better!
- Sacred dance, festival
- Back to basics with music – buy a “stereo” stereo
- Within the limits of a game of tennis is philosophy
- white paper from the start
- Life is not without meaning
- The structure of meaning and existence
- Innate ideas
- Out to lunch
- Differance and the metaphysics of presence
- Metaphors we live by
- Type and token things
- A piece of paper
- The inside of my safe
- Planet X
- Szczurolap (The Rat Exterminator)
- Linguistic efficiency
- Statements of non-facts
- Nirvana has no value
- The problem with man
- Heraclitus and time
- Our place in the universe is here and now
- Idealism, coffee grinders, movie magic
- Philosophical triangulation
- No body, no mind. No mind, dead body.
- The general and the particular
- Mind, soul, spirit
- Is there such a thing as antihumanism?
- Basho on being one with the object
- One of the great monologues ever – Rutger Hauer in Blade Runner
- Philosophical realism
- The soul
- The mind
- Space is an object
- What is a thought?
- What Phineas Gage can tell us about what the self is
- Things, space, time, reality
- Perception is irrelevant
- Repeated acts of forgetfulness
- First stimulus and the chain of conception
- From the change in the relationship of things in space
- From the relationship of things
- Proceed with caution
- Self and other unawareness
- The first confrontation
- Revisiting philosophical projectionism
- Today, everything exists to end up on the internet.
- Coma, time, idealism
- Philosophical projectionism
- The dualism paradox
- Emergent or projection?
- The stimulus of the mind and being
- When ideation ends …
- My Neohumanism
- Reason, logic, reality
- Things, space, and time
- Timelessness has no basis
- Two types of “sweaters”
- Out, damn spot! Out damn anthropocentrism!
- An object is an object is an object; the world is the world is the world.
- Critique of Idealism
- Buddhist suffering is not pain and grief
- The World and its experiences
- Sight, sound, touch
- The philosophy of “thrown in”
- Ghost stories, reality, and The Philosophy of Flawfulness
- Inferred space
- Time is only known one way
- The non-awareness of
- What is knowledge?
- Captain’s Log 1419.145
- Only matter
- There are things
- Captain’s Log 1424.143
- Captain’s Log 1424.142
- Captain’s Log 1419.141
- Captain’s Log 1319.140
- The Ten Bull Pictures – notes
- Chemtrails, Beck
- The end of an era in Japan
- Regurgitator’s Pogogo Show – a review
- Naive or Direct Realism
- External reality and anti-realism
- Tractatus Logico-Philosophicus and the last mind
- The ontological and epistemological questions
- Wittgenstein’s First Proposition
- On Music
- Philosophy is not above and beyond analysis and criticism
- The Japanese nengajō (New Year’s cards)
- building metaphors
- Mind, self, soul
- the definition of a soul
- annual check up
- When a person dies …
- Does being a material monist mean I feel lonely?
- Monism, dualism or pluralism?
- I am a material monist
- Is pure space observable?
- Avicenna’s Flying Man experiment
- inside the mind
- There is no external world
- The death of perception
- Object-mass, object-space
- I, realist
- chewing gum
- What is sensation and sense data?
- All track pads are equal. Some track pads are more equal than others.
- One reality
- Perception colours reality
- Why I care about the new iPhones?
- Is recycling in Japan a sham?
- My 9-11
- 5 reasons I choose not to talk about politics
- When does a soul get created?
- The difference between a ‘k’ and ‘d’ in Ikea
- Trade offs
- Waste not a single moment
- SNS and real life
- Sensation and perception
- On the id, superego and ego
- sunday afternoon
- Buddhist Texts
- What the Buddha taught
- The Buddha
- Id, ego, superego
- Where idealism fails
- one, forty-two
- Physicalism, not atheism
- The editorial error that became “metaphysics”
- Consciousness is mundane
- The equality of objectivity
- To talk of nihilism is meaningless
- “Philosophy”, East and West
- Religion is man-made
- i like god
- How to paint an object
- I know of no other existence
- Be, being, becoming
- The Philosophy of Tennis
- OOO and objects
- The nature of this or that thing – will and representation
- The Noise In The Data
- On Reality
- Defining observing objects
- Defining Objects
- Defining The World
- Band-aid Philosophy
- Life as a lay practitioner in a Zen Temple
- The Life of The Buddha
- The Natural Animal
- 2018 resolutions
- Does not a belief in a flat earth imply that the planets are flat as well?
- Why making a more efficient car does not work
- The Buddha was an atheist
- The Book of Warren (The Unauthorised Revised Version)
- hospital ward
- wedding ring
- The human animal
- What should we believe in?
- The insistence of existence
- Rejection One, Two, Three
- Can you sell your soul to the Devil?
- heart and soul
- Verifiability and Falsifiability
- Reincarnation in Buddhism
- Thoughts on the Mind
- The faces of Foucault
- The Existential problem
- coffee bean
- Religion, philosophy and science have the same aim
- Stasis of form
- Conceptual Stasis
- Stasis or Kinesis
- One Consciousness
- Karate #haiku
- One system?
- Space, object and time
- Space, time and perception
- The non-agreement of logic
- Define the system and its range
- Concepts do not pre-exist
- Interpretation and Prediction
- The projection of history
- Buddha taught us to say goodbye to karma
- Id/superego/ego, Japanese culture, Schopenhauer
- The main religions of Japan – a quick guide
- Please … show me something that is permanent
- What is karma?
- All, concepts
- miss conception
- What does it mean to be a philosopher?
- Chains and the Imagined Freedom
- The Image and Art
- The celebrity that is God
- “You are light as air & heavy as clouds”
- The fear of purposelessness
- Damn it, Dennett! Why did you have to say it?!
- Eagleton and Value-judgement
- The Necessary Angel
- Eliminate Racial Discrimination
- Why watching the development of Toyosu is important
- sustainable economics
- Philosophy must be questioned
- Shakyamuni (The Buddha)
- Non-religious Buddhism
- Why I am an atheist but not against religion
- My three reasons for taking up meditation
- sick poetry
- forty eight
- atheist become
- morning phase
- park ranger
- What and how do I know?
- internet security
- #wordplay #poetry
- The subject in Western philosophy
- #HowMany Deconstructionists does it take to change a light bulb?
- I think I am
- #define unconsciousness
- #HowMany light bulbs does it take to change an object-oriented ontologist?
- #HowMany object-oriented ontologists does it take to change a light bulb?
- the view from the penthouse
- #define institution
- On the continuity of the world
- On Realism
- What is Object-Oriented Ontology?
- The world has a characteristic
- Loneliness, people and God
- the empty machine
- one moment (nirvana)
- I have no direct knowledge of God
- We can only ever be inductive
- Sooooo happy to be signature103.blog
- every moment (samsara)
- Not Materialism
- Let’s start having dialogues again – comments on
- No evidence for other universes
- What is wrong with rationalism?
- An alternative theory to multiverses (parallel universes)
- Knowing or conceiving God?
- Rationalism and Empiricism (not Rationalism versus Empiricism)
- 11 years of sustained blogging
- Towards a Buddhist Materialism
- Why do I doubt God?
- Sensation and Perception
- Why people misunderstand the Buddhist concept of karma?
- The brain and its thoughts
- Philosophy from looking at a piece of paper
- Why bother with marriage?
- What has Periscope taught me?
- The philosophy of Jacque Derrida
- More sustainability humour
- 360 view of Atomic Bomb Dome in the Hiroshima Peace Park
- The transcript of the Emperor Akihito’s speech indicating his wish to “abdicate”
- Materialism must take precedence
- Periscope Tip #3 – use a mic
- Periscope Tip #2 – choose a good informative title
- Periscope Tip #1 – don’t get burnt out
- My thoughts on 10 years of sustainability dharma
- 2016 New Year’s resolutions
- Lessons on Right Speech from the Miss Universe 2015 Contest
- Nuclear versus fossil fuel power
- The search
- Doing things for humanity; now doing things for the planet – Sebastian Salgado
- What you see is only in the frame
- Ergo cogito sum
- A note on “Emptiness” and “Non-self”
- Dragging the past into sports is an insult to us
- Question: Why have I only been in this perspective since I was born?
- We are human animals
- Do countries that speak English have a higher probability of success in business because of the English language’s framework, structure, and words?
- Money as medium of exchange
- How to slow down the destruction of the planet
- Thay hospitalised
- “Haruki Murakami says Japan ignoring WWII, Fukushima role”
- A Battery With A Twenty Year Lifespan …
- Congratulations to Malala Yousafzai and Kailash Satyarthi
- Things to be done
- Today’s Buddha
- Nature, Darwin, natural selection
- melting glaciers
- Enlightenment is not a state of mind
- Everything is an opportunity …
- No love
- EPA used to stand for compassion
- (Zen in) the art of serving coffee #1
- Banksy’s Art
- Keep Calm. Meditate.
- look carefully …
- (no more) love
- No act of kindness is ever too soon.
- on (the) edge
- Is The Buddha a god?
- Right Speech
- Not ‘if’ but ‘when’
- Monk Begging in Shopping District
- Drowned by Jazz
- Listen without ears
- Censure yourself, never another
- Falling Leaves
- Keichu’s Wheel
- Three Stories on Attachment
- Forgetting Oneself
- Why meditate?
- Keep Calm
- Saul Bellow on Death
- We Are Not Kind Machines
- No Water, No Moon
- Treasury of the True Dharma Eye
- Travelling the Narrow Roads with Basho
- the interpreter
- every moment
- Some thoughts on Right Speech
- We share a reality (thoughts on the bombing of the Boston Marathon)
- How to Build a Buddha
- The Printed Word
- Why did the neighbour cross the street?
- Basho’s Frog Poem and Gutei’s Finger
- Harada Tangen Roshi
- No sound, no water.
- Santoka’s Hailstone Poem
- Daito Kokushi by Hakuin
- The Sure Bet (Short Version)
- the sure bet
- Fukushima, 11 March 2011, 2:46pm
- Turning the prayer wheel
- youth, gone by
- This one …
- Resolution for 2013
- Worn Out Shoe
- Food for Thought – What Does 200 Calories Look Like?
- No form
- Abuse within Zen
- There Is No Guarantee
- What the world needs
- Ye Haiyan
- Buddhism isn’t a philosophy
- “I am thinking now.”
- Some thoughts on the Arhat and the Bodhisattva
- Bodhisattva and reincarnation
- How we (are not supposed to) solve our economic problems
- Moderation in eating
- The rebirth of sustainability dharmablog
- Life in a Zen Temple #1 – Daily Schedule
- The Last of the Snow – Tetsuo Sakurai
- Tetsuo Sakurai, poet.
- Maximum Wage – the New Middle Way
- 9 August 1945, 11:02am
- He’s right
- 8:15am, 6 August 1945.
- No Nukes 2012 – Kraftwerk in Tokyo, 7 July.
- Longevity and Wellbeing
- The surprise of Man …
- From wood to plastic – new technologies
- World Population Day
- Ancient fuel
- The rich and the poor
- Adam Phillips on happiness, pain, satisfaction, and attainable ideals
- How much or little know about glaciers
- A message from David Suzuki of the David Suzuki Foundation
- This life is limitless
- Apple financially bigger than Poland?
- The thing about inconveniences …
- Vietnam uses monks to take territory
- It’s not money that grows on trees anymore
- An oldie but a goodie – The Severn Suzuki UN Earth Summit speech
- Three books environmentally aware parents should read with their children
- 3-11 nuclear disaster could have been much worse
- Our patch
- New Year’s resolution for SD
- A place where Buddhism and alcohol mix?
- Art and the environment – Emma Lindsay
- The world economy only works if there are IMFs
- The link between the environment and war
- Just how many nuclear tests have we done?
- 6,999,999,998 … 6,999,999,999 … 7 billion people … 7,000,000,001 …
- If the world were a food village of 100 people
- Mornings are the best time to meditate
- Money blinds people to nuclear risks – pro-nuclear mayor re-elected
- Very democratic but not very Buddhist – cigarettes in Bhutan
- What exactly does TEPCO have to hide?
- Trilakshana – the marks of existence in Buddhism
- Structures in nature maybe inbuilt geometrics
- What does the underside of the Arctic ice look like?
- David Suzuki – the DVD
- The number of Hiroshima A-bombs …
- On Heidemarie Schwermer and Tiger Woods – “Money distracts us from what’s important.”
- Good news … animals flee faster than we think
- The answer to life and everything is … 8.7 million
- How feasible is green energy?
- First Peace Declaration since the Fukushima Nuclear Accident
- Is this what is called “river kill”?
- An important lesson from Fukushima
- Masao Senzaki to head new nuclear nonproliferation centre
- Bikini Atoll mayor to visit Japan on H-bomb anniversary
- We know so little about us
- An open statement to Aung San Suu Kyi and the Burmese people
- Book Introduction – Voices Against War: A Century of Protest
- James Lovelock: it’s too late … we’ve pulled the (environmental) trigger
- So do you want to Farmville … or farm?
- Seals take refuge in Peru from global warming
- My Dharma resolutions
- My sustainability resolutions
- Reduce Reuse Recycle – the order of the 3Rs according to Google
- Recycle, reduce, reuse – which is the most important?
- What is theory?
- Where is sustainability dharma at now?
- Sustainability Wit
- Is it The Buddha or Buddha?
- Snow in March?
- Fear and the Slavery of Man
- The work of Helen Suzman is never truly done
- Coal – one day there may be no more mountains left to conquer
- An ad for ads?
- The trend towards variable tolls
- My Ingrid Betancourt link
- Buy Nothing Day
- Our supermarket fantasy
- Wildlife Photographer of the Year 2008
- Prix Pictet for Sustainablility – Water
- 10 things to do to avoid extinction
- Blog Action Day 2008
- So long and thanks
- Sustainable blogging?
- This death is brought to you by…
- Do we need to rush into biofuel?
- Does the Hinayana have Buddha Nature?
- Ways to promote public transport
- Don’t bother wasting your energy on Energy Saving Day
- 50 facts that should change the world
- Protest against blog advertising
- 1 word = 20 grains
- Differance, No-self and ecological interconnectedness
- Could this be the ‘golden bullet’ for CO2?
- Two years of (un)sustainability
- Do we need an Ecological Buddhism?
- Population growth, governments and the media
- Colourful and confusing
- What it takes to recycle all the cars in Japan
- Low-tech is the answer… partly
- Technology isn’t the answer
- An Inconvenient Attitude
- Mind your language – Bhutan’s Gross National Happiness
- One year of sustainability theory dharma
- Affluence, the individual and society
- Gross National Happiness is, well… gross
- My thumbs down to Tradable Energy Quotas
- So from which end of the wire shall we pollute the Earth with?
- Flickr Uploadr 2.3 problem and fix
- A green politican acts and speaks big
- Australia and China signs uranium agreement
- Oze to become national park
- Japan… more productivity, smaller population?
- Don’t get confused
- Japanese government to set new “sea sanctuary” category
- Searching for Bobby Fischer’s playing partner
- Is cloned food safe?
- Seeing Red and White
- Recharge or reduce?
- Blogging is work!
- Arctic ice shelf breaks off
- Floods in Aceh kill 120
- Saddam’s death and karma
- Polar bears and skiing
- Reviving literature
- Will science save the planet?
- The Earth, its environment and resources
- Spinsters and Hinayana Buddhism
- Mara’s Dictionary – internet security
- The problem with trying to reduce greenhouse gases
- California to cut greenhouse gas emission
- Safe searching with SiteAdvisor
- How to host a world religion congress and become known to the world
- New magazine on sustainability – “Sasutena”
- Honda to mass-produce bioethanol vehicles
- Interconnectness and Differance
- Difference and Differance
- The ocean, microbes and biodiversity
- Rethinking population
- Zero degrees of separation to Jimmy Carter
- China – the “new face” on the environmental scene
- The True (Techni)colours of Al Gore
- The relativity of “theory”
- Mr Blair, thermostats and nuclear power
- What exactly is Postmodernism?
- SDB News – May 2006
- Paradigm shift, dolphins, language
- Why this blog was aimed at the wrong audience
- Research needed on marine sound
- Bruce Springsteen in New Orleans
- 102 People… Oh, and One Whale
- Glaciers heading for a quick melt
- What is theory?
- Diversity and microgeneration
- Water is the government’s responsibility
- Happy Birthday, Dr David Suzuki
- Woking the Green Path
- Buddhist practice may help spread the bird flu
- Mara’s Dictionary – government; politics
- Mara’s Dictionary
- What Is Sustainability?
- 30 Days of Sustainability
- Information Superhighway I
- “Not Necessary”…
- Environmentalism Is Not Religion
- A Short Introduction to the Buddha
- Sadly, Towards Urbanization
- Are We to Blame for Climate Change?
- Moderation – Buddhism and Sustainability
- Environment and Sustainability Humour
- The “Value” of Money
- Three Kinds of Lies
- The Reasoning of Reason
- Bottom Trawling in New Zealand
- The US and the Kyoto Protocol
- A “Healthy” Economy?
- Text and Scrutiny